faux

So many, many questions as to how I did this dresser.  I'm not the best "how to" person. I have said many times that it's hard for me to tell someone how I refinished something because I work in the moment, making changes as I go. I have an idea in my mind and I work at it until I achieve the look I want.  But I will do my best to explain how I go this look. 
 Like I said in this post, when I first got this several years ago I sanded it and stained it (can't remember what stain, but it was dark).
 It stayed that way up until a few weeks ago when I got a wild hair and wanted to paint it turquoise.
I used my left over woodlawn valley haze by Valspar from this project, and brushed on 1 coat.
After it was dry, I did another coat. When the second coat was dry, I hand sanded the edges with 100 grit paper.  I wanted the piece to look as if the paint was worn off.  So I sanded most of the paint off the edges.
 Then I wiped it down, and rubbed in some dark stain with a clean cloth in all the areas I just sanded.  Let the stain sit there for a minute and then wiped it off with another clean cloth. The stain I used is Minwax wood finish, dark walnut.  I wiped and rubbed all over the piece, can't really say exactly what I did, just allowed my creativity to flow through me.
Which I highly encourage you to do. 
Finally, I allowed the piece to dry and brought her inside.
I have yet to put a topcoat on it, I think I like the unpolished look of it.
Any other ?'s feel free to ask.
I hope this helps!


7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the details.

    I love the dress and definitely want to try that Valspar shade....so pretty.

    So glad I stopped by to see this this morning.

    Best,

    Cori
    Stsrview Sonnet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE it!!!! That's what I want to do to my Entertainment center eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is stunning! Love it! Thanks for tutorial. I have some pieces to do and your lovely piece has inspired me to get going!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is perfect! No topcoat, in my opinion. Thanks for the information~ always fun to hear how other people do their 'furniture thing' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your technique - really adds character and dimension to this piece of furniture. Same with the yellow dresser. Great job! I'm a big fan!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment