Faux Oxidation

For this dresser I wanted to paint the hardware a turquoise color.  But in the end, by mistake, I created a faux oxidized look. 
 If you don't know what I'm talking about her are a couple of real objects that have the real oxidation thing going on.

 First, I painted my hard ware with oil rubbed bronze, and let them dry. 
Then I barely dipped my brush into my paint, Woodlawn Valley Haze by Valspar, and mixed it with some water on a plate.

  I lightly brushed it onto the hardware.  It fell into all the little crevices and I realized it looked like old iron that had slowly oxidized over time.



  Hooray for mistakes!

By the way, this is the last week for the Decorators Show House!   If you live in the Atlanta area, I highly recommend you go and check it out.  Here is my blog post about it.

4 comments:

  1. i love happy accidents like this! they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great technique - mistake I can't wait to see the entire project. How is the baby by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sometimes the best things come from mistakes! That hardware turned out great Kathleen! It looks perfect on your dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome accident! They look incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment